Portland-Lakers musings

Lakers Topbuzz Forum/Message Board » Lakers Game Day
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
SPQR
LTB HOF Bronze
 Avatar
Posts: 8485
Location: Pennsylvania
votes: 265
 

Once again we come up short at Portland. Not unexpected but this time it was a bit more than just another loss up there. It was the death knell for any chance at home court against Cleveland so the loss did come with a price for a change. Not the end of the world since Cleveland will still have to get past Boston to be there and I don't think homecourt is essential against that team. It would have been nice-just not essential.

Portland is the one team that has the size and athleticism to play us at our own game and stay right with us...at least up there. The other thing that helps them out alot is the presence of Brandon Roy. He is just a slight cut below the trimuverate of Kobe-Wade-Lebron in his ability to tear down a defense and inflict damage on a team. It really helps them that they have a player who can mitigate and match to a large degree the harm Kobe can inflict on them. You can't overstate what it means to have a player like that.

A great game with runs by both teams played at playoff intensitiy. One had to lose and unfortunatly it was us.

The turning point in my eyes? With a few minutes left when they took out Oden, their biggest and best rebounder and interior defender and put in Prysbilla. At that point if I am Phil....er I mean Kurt, I call timeout, put in Drew to play with Pau. I tell the team to MAKE SURE they get that ball to either Drew or Pau to attack Prysbilla and Portland's interior.

Why didn't Kurt do this? Who knows. Maybe he wanted to leave Lamar in. But if so, he should still have put in Drew. The game at this point would be decided by creating mismatches, the easiest scoring opportunities and by who would get the rebounds for second chance opportunities. With Drew, Pau and Trevor or Drew, Pau and Lamar you have a much better chance to creat the mismatch down low against Portland in those final crucial minutes. Without Pau AND Drew in the game, you don't.

Instead Kurt leaves the lineup alone and we end up shooting jumpers. Not the most efficient formula to finish a tight game on an opposing teams floor where you have not won in god knows how long. Even with the dumb non-move by Kurt, Kobe and the others deserve a big rasberry for playing very, very stupid ball by insisting on shooting jumpers instead of going inside to Pau and Lamar.

One thing the coaches and players (and yeah this means Kobe too) better learn in a hurry is that you are not going to find easier or more efficient ways to score than by getting the ball inside to the big three....especially in this type of game in enemy territory.

As for Rambis, well this game and his non-move once again brought back memories of his first tenure and miserable failure as a head coach here. It brought home with crystal clarity why under no circumstances do I want him to take Phil's spot for good once the Zen Master hangs them up. It also is very fortuitous that Kurt's wife happens to be Jeannie Busses best friend and shopping partner. I have no doubt that it has not hurt his relationship with the Laker organization or with Phil. I do hope that relationship does not end up saddling us some time in the future with head coach Rambis part II.

A great game, a lousy, disappointing finish caused in part by a coach who couldn't make the right (and obvious) move when it was time to do so and players who wanted to be stars instead of playing it smart.

Oh well, we will see Portland shortly down the road and then they had better find a way to win in Los Angeles AND keep holding serve up there. A hard task even for them.

LKnight
Laker GM
Posts: 4166
votes: 70

Once again the big homie SP repps to the fullest!!

Excellent post and as usual, very well written.

L

cuckooroller
LTB HOF Silver
Posts: 12411
Location: Italy
votes: 114

SPQR,

Well, sooner or later the serendipity of sheer probability kicks in. We are probably going to have to face Portland in the second round. Sooner or later, probability has it that we get a win in Portland. So, we might as well save it for the playoffs!

With the screwy way that the playoffs are seeded we will probably see a Division winner with a worse record than Portland with the 3° seed! It would have been much better for Portland to have to go through two other teams before they get to us.

EDIT: Well, maybe I am wrong. If I interpret this correctly, it should mean that you can have one of the first three seeds not being a Division winner!

Playoff Seeding:

# The first four seeds in each conference will continue to be given to the three division winners and the team with the next best regular season record, but these four teams will now be seeded in order of their regular season records. Among other things, this change will ensure that the two teams with the best records in the conference will not meet earlier than the Conference Finals.

This should mean that Portland can be 3° seed, and on the other side of the slate, until WCF it is understood, if either of us make it.

Kobe+talent=4morerings
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1704
Location: mesa AZ
votes: 10

spqr i agree, but maybe phil,mitch,buss, and bynums trainer said bynum is by no means supposed to play more then 31 minutes, 31 minutes is a lot considering we played last night and this is only bynums 2nd game back, but yes i feel he should have been in there, but a healthy bynum is way more important then one win, and home court....

SPQR
LTB HOF Bronze
 Avatar
Posts: 8485
Location: Pennsylvania
votes: 265

Kobe+talent,

You may indeed be right. If so, my total apologies to Kurt. I hope a reporter has the brains to ask that question. It would seem to me to be the question of the night for the fourth estate to ask if they want to earn their money. I would still fault Kurt for not calling a timeout when Kobe and company started to jack up dumb jumpers instead of letting Pau and Lamar get the first touches. I still do not want Kurt coaching this team-ever. I guess Kurt is still as afraid of Kobe as he was back when he had the captains chair for that miserable stretch. It takes a very confident man with a strong personality to coach Kobe and Kurt ain't it. As the english would say, "I don't think Kurt has the bottle for it."

L Kight,

Thanks for the nice words on a post I sure didn't want to write. It was a great and exciting game, even though we lost. Too bad the team had to play so stupid down the stretch and pretty much gaurantee Portland the win instead of fighting for it all the way by playing smart. All we are left with now is: hey Portland, see you guys shortly.

Cuckooroller,

Right now we would play Portland in the second round. I also agree that the teams should be seeded by record and not by "winning" divisions. Well, I guess then our toughest oppenent will be in the second round if things don't change. Thats fine. The playoffs are a pure meritocracy and the strong will move on. I have nothing but respect for Portland but with home court I do think we will take them out. Maybe a easier west finals would not be such a bad thing either.

Kobe+talent=4morerings
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1704
Location: mesa AZ
votes: 10

i agree i too dont see it as a bad thing to get the tough games out of the way this way we can be well rested for the finals....cuz last year we had 2 brutal series with spurs and jazz they are very physical

cuckooroller
LTB HOF Silver
Posts: 12411
Location: Italy
votes: 114

Well, I am figuring that Houston lose at Dallas, and that Portland win out the rest of their games. This is what we should all hope happens. This would give Portland 3° seed.

Omarkb24
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2111

us.gif
votes: 12

tufff game ...but the blazzers are for reallllll guys!!!!!

only at home, and i dont think this is gonna this gonna transalate too the playoff!

but great game, but we will destroyed them if we play them again

timbo
Topbuzz Newbie
Posts: 22
votes: 1

Actually, Przybilla (note spelling) is the superior rebounding Blazer center and approximately equal to Oden as a paint defender (Oden being more athletic but slower to read and react). Pryzzy was, in fact, the one that forced Kobe to make the last ditch bad pass at the end there when he was in the air with nowhere to go with the ball.

Attacking Pryz with Drew was certainly no slam dunk strategy, so to speak. Pryz is a master of drawing charging fouls and Drew still hasn't quite found his feet yet after the injury and might just as easily have picked up a traveling call as made a hoop.

You are completely on-target that the Blazers match up with Los Angeles well. The Blazers also are the one team in the West (with the possible exception of Denver) not afraid of the Lakers in a 7 game series -- and don't underestimate the importance of the intimidation factor.

A great game.

cuckooroller
LTB HOF Silver
Posts: 12411
Location: Italy
votes: 114

timbo wrote:
SPQR wrote:

Portland is the one team that has the size and athleticism to play us at our own game and stay right with us...at least up there. The other thing that helps them out alot is the presence of Brandon Roy. He is just a slight cut below the trimuverate of Kobe-Wade-Lebron in his ability to tear down a defense and inflict damage on a team. It really helps them that they have a player who can mitigate and match to a large degree the harm Kobe can inflict on them. You can't overstate what it means to have a player like that.

    • *

The turning point in my eyes? With a few minutes left when they took out Oden, their biggest and best rebounder and interior defender and put in Prysbilla. At that point if I am Phil....er I mean Kurt, I call timeout, put in Drew to play with Pau. I tell the team to MAKE SURE they get that ball to either Drew or Pau to attack Prysbilla and Portland's interior.

Actually, Przybilla (note spelling) is the superior rebounding Blazer center and approximately equal to Oden as a paint defender (Oden being more athletic but slower to read and react). Pryzzy was, in fact, the one that forced Kobe to make the last ditch bad pass at the end there when he was in the air with nowhere to go with the ball.

Attacking Pryz with Drew was certainly no slam dunk strategy, so to speak. Pryz is a master of drawing charging fouls and Drew still hasn't quite found his feet yet after the injury and might just as easily have picked up a traveling call as made a hoop.

You are completely on-target that the Blazers match up with Los Angeles well. The Blazers also are the one team in the West (with the possible exception of Denver) not afraid of the Lakers in a 7 game series -- and don't underestimate the importance of the intimidation factor.

A great game.

Hi Timbo,

Welcome to LTB. Other team fans are always welcome here when they want to truly talk about basketball, and there are a lot of the older Laker fans on here that know what they are talking about without getting into the useless rah-rah hype stuff.

You guys have a good young team, and they should give us more than a few headaches in the next few years. I also think Przybilla is presently the much superior Portland Center. I am not convinced by Oden, at all, and it is not just for the oft cited possible anatomically fragile reasons. I feel that sometimes it is just not enough to be enormous, and he is certainly that, but the problem seems to me is that he is so extremely slow in his reaction times, and this is not something that gets better with practise. I have watched your team play numerous times, and virtually every time that I have seen Oden come in, I watch to see what the other team does. They almost always start to run plays with a quick high-post player that will then slash to the basket. Oden is usually on the bench after about five minutes with a couple fouls, and the rest of the game he is usually limited by his total fouls.

By the way, a horrible game, at least, as far as we are concerned. Though in the long run it might mean that your team could gain the 3° seed, which I would rather have happen. Better to have to face you guys in the WCF, than in the second round. Provided, of course, that either of our teams advance that far.

flixos
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2038
Location: España
sp.gif
votes: 26

As you said SPQR, the man-of-the-game was Roy IMO. He has Kobe's number, at least at Portland. If you take a look to the game before against Portland, you will get a kind of deja-vú. And, again, i can´t understand how we get a so odd use of our two 7 footers...we must give them about the 75% of the shots, getting the ball to them, Portland can´t double-team both at the same time. It's a shame that Pau just got 9 shots (to make 6 of them); he was the 4th player at that point. Is Pau the 4th option?. I say no.

And somebody (PJ) must talk to Kobe about leadership...the 4th quarter doesn´t belong to him. There are 4 more players at your side.

ksoebaenla
Posts: 1392
votes: 7

I am just as scared as everyone about portlands team...but i am glad we lost that game in portland...because 1 we probably werent going to get HCA anyways....and two it keeps the numbers in our favor....now when we meet portland they are going to have to win two games in staples to move on because i dont see us losing three more straight in portland...we have already lost like 7-8 in a row, so by sheer luck we are bound to win up there.....its like if the roulette ball keeps rolling red, your chances for black get higher and higher.

cuckooroller
LTB HOF Silver
Posts: 12411
Location: Italy
votes: 114

Your post is entirely illogical.

(1) We should not be glad to have lost this game considering that we desired to contest Cleveland for the HCA throughout the playoffs.

(2) The numbers are in our favor in any case. You make it seem like the numbers are now in our favor because we lost. Not true, and totally illogical. The numbers are in our favor with Portland as far as the HCA REGARDLESS of the outcome of this game!

(3) If we want to try and find any type of silver lining in this lousy loss, we can only find it if Portland uses the win to grab off Seed #3 from Houston. This would put them on the other side of the slate, and they would have to get through two other teams before they would have to meet us in the WCF, if we ourselves get there!

Hollywood_Randy
Big-Time Laker Fan
Age: 40
Posts: 792
Location: Hollywood
votes: 40

I don't believe there is any reason to worry about Portland.

The Lakers actually played pretty good defense. They just couldn't find the hole very well.

I think it also comes down to decision making.

For what ever reason the Lakers just seemed kind of frazzled and tired at the end of the game. They made really dumb choices as the clock ran down.

Could be because it was a back to back, it could just be that Portlands intensity for a regular season game was higher.

I do question Kurt Rambis' decisions too. But it's not just calling a 3 point shot play when we only needed a 2, some it just has to do with Phils presence. Phil talks alot of **** to get into the other teams head all before and during the game. Phil not being there almost felt like a key player was missing.

Anyway, it's regular season. HCA would have been cool but I'm just happy we can all stop talking about it.

The playoffs are a whole new season, and the Lakers hold all the best cards. I won;t worry about Portland unless they win the first round by blow outs.

timbo
Topbuzz Newbie
Posts: 22
votes: 1


Repped High Quality Post

cuckooroller wrote:

Hi Timbo,

Welcome to LTB. Other team fans are always welcome here when they want to truly talk about basketball, and there are a lot of the older Laker fans on here that know what they are talking about without getting into the useless rah-rah hype stuff.

Hi to you all and thanks. I grew up in Eureka, CA during the era of West and Wilt and Co. before moving to Oregon in High School, so I have evolved into an example of a most improbable miscegenation -- a fan of both the Blazers and their mortal rival from SoCal. Blazers are most assuredly at the top of my personal totem pole, however.

Quote:

You guys have a good young team, and they should give us more than a few headaches in the next few years. I also think Przybilla is presently the much superior Portland Center. I am not convinced by Oden, at all, and it is not just for the oft cited possible anatomically fragile reasons. I feel that sometimes it is just not enough to be enormous, and he is certainly that, but the problem seems to me is that he is so extremely slow in his reaction times, and this is not something that gets better with practise. I have watched your team play numerous times, and virtually every time that I have seen Oden come in, I watch to see what the other team does. They almost always start to run plays with a quick high-post player that will then slash to the basket. Oden is usually on the bench after about five minutes with a couple fouls, and the rest of the game he is usually limited by his total fouls.

Blazers see the Lakers as their primary Western Conference rival over the next 5+ years, which explains part of the frenzy that you see in the Rose Garden when the Kobe crew is in town... I think the other rivals of those teams haven't quite emerged yet: Memphis is one, probably Minnesota the other (unless they really botch this draft). And you can't count out Daddy Warbucks, Mark Cuban.

As for Przybilla & Oden -- both are pivotally important (pi) to the Blazers and their hopes. Pryz is a world class rebounder and excellent defender, legit 7-footer, but with the proverbial "hands of stone." Oden is an oversold extremely raw rookie who is on a pace to EVENTUALLY be a very good or maybe even an outstanding player, but who is a foul machine. But he has made plays, you can see what he has the potential to become (the over and under for the jam on Drew last night, for example). The thing is, there are very few legit centers in the NBA (easy to forget if you are holding Bynum and Gasol but true nonetheless) and the teams that can run TWO of them for shorter shifts are always going to have an enormous advantage over the teams faking it by playing small ball with a power forward out of position. This is less true in the playoffs than the regular season, perhaps, but power flows from the paint, now as ever.

Is Oden a superstar? No. Will he ever be? No. He is a project, not quite as fluid and proficient as Drew on the offensive end, but with real signs of eventually becoming a very significant player. He is slow to react and foul prone, that much is sure, which was why I was very happy he drew his 5th foul and left just when he did (around the 3 minute mark of the 4th).

Quote:

By the way, a horrible game, at least, as far as we are concerned.

You really expected to win a road back-to-back in the Rose Garden? I'm not sure what the smart guys in Vegas thought, but I wouldn't imagine that it was better than a "pick 'em"... I think, as a Laker fan, it was an exceptionally GOOD game, given the intensity of the defense and how close they kept it down to the last minute -- when Kobe forgot that he's not the alpha and the omega of the club and basically shot away the photo finish.

Quote:

Though in the long run it might mean that your team could gain the 3° seed, which I would rather have happen. Better to have to face you guys in the WCF, than in the second round. Provided, of course, that either of our teams advance that far.

I want the 4 seed for the Blazers, not the 3 -- to kick booty on San Antonio with a home court advantage and then to see about pulling that big upset in the second round in 7.

The Blazers' goal this year was simply MAKING the playoffs, after a 5 year hiatus. Home court advantage? That's gravy. MAKING the second round puts the team a full year ahead of the master plan. And a second round upset? Wow, that would be big.

One thing is for sure -- the Blazers aren't afraid of the Lakers. They might not win a 7 game series, but they'll take it to 7, one way or the other, and won't be backing down or playing scared.

Thanks again for the welcome. Sorry if this was too verbose.

t

flixos
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2038
Location: España
sp.gif
votes: 26

hey timbo, welcome here guy, good work, keep on it Wink. Another point of view is always needed and welcomed

SPQR
LTB HOF Bronze
 Avatar
Posts: 8485
Location: Pennsylvania
votes: 265

If one assumes Pryzbilla is a better defender I still want to attack Pryzbilla inside with our big men over attacking Oden and this is why: Oden has the size and strength Pryzbilla will never have. Pau and especially Drew can move Pryzbilla to a certain extent down low. Nobody can move Oden therefor our post players are reduced to shooting jumpers over him instead of attacking the basket. So while Pryzbilla may in fact defend better against the rest of the players on the Lakers, Oden actually is a harder nut to crack for our center(s). Once Oden left the game it was time to insert Drew and have him and Pau go to the hole.

The Lakers played a good game and put themselves in a position to steal a game in a very difficult environment. A win was not expected but in the end there was a shot at one. Kurt and Kobe take the blame for the failure down the stretch. As Flixos so wisely said, Kobe does not own the fourth quarter. He should take over when circumstance makes it the smart thing to do. Last night was not one of those times. He will always be a battle with his ego and it will at times be a problem for us.

flixos
Die-Hard Laker Fan
 Avatar
Age: 42
Posts: 2038
Location: España
sp.gif
votes: 26

And that was the problem yesterday; it looks like nobody in this team , apart from Walton, is ready to feed the big guys in a nice way. We have Pau, who can be shooting from FT-line range or so over 50% FG, while Drew is making dunks inside, feeded by Pau if he's not open. Both of them together must be unstoppable night by night if we take the ball out of 3pt-shooting-guys...we use to get around 30% from 3pt-line...and we could make all the nights a 60%+ from inside. So, which one is the smarter choice?.

colasuss
Topbuzz Newbie
Posts: 26
votes: 0

What is Up with LA damn seems to have the best road recorder and Looses in Portland for 8th time damn Man Dont know if we are going to get the best record Now I just hope Cleveland looses to boston and indiania

SPQR
LTB HOF Bronze
Posts: 8485
Location: Pennsylvania
votes: 265

Flixos,

Your right on the money. The fact is, the advent of Drew and Pau are going to necessitate a big change on how Fish, Sasha and Kobe need to play. It aint what they will want to hear or want to do-but if they want to be smart players, help this team be efficient, and not egoists, they will have to adjust to the new reality. This is not the Laker team of three years ago.

flixos
Die-Hard Laker Fan
 Avatar
Age: 42
Posts: 2038
Location: España
sp.gif
votes: 26

SPQR wrote:
Quote:

And that was the problem yesterday; it looks like nobody in this team , apart from Walton, is ready to feed the big guys in a nice way. We have Pau, who can be shooting from FT-line range or so over 50% FG, while Drew is making dunks inside, feeded by Pau if he's not open. Both of them together must be unstoppable night by night if we take the ball out of 3pt-shooting-guys...we use to get around 30% from 3pt-line...and we could make all the nights a 60%+ from inside. So, which one is the smarter choice?.

Flixos,

Your right on the money. The fact is, the advent of Drew and Pau are going to necessitate a big change on how Fish, Sasha and Kobe need to play. It aint what they will want to hear or want to do-but if they want to be smart players, help this team be efficient, and not egoists, they will have to adjust to the new reality. This is not the Laker team of three years ago.

It's clear for us, my friend. Maybe the bigger problem were the changes. We started the year with Pau and Drew, we needed some work with both, and when everything was fixed, Drew got injured. We started to play with last year's unit, an smaller and faster lineup...and when the season is nearly over...bum...again Drew is in the middle. I think PJ has to make a fast work in our backcourt guys, in order to maximize those two big guys when we need them. I'm not talking about having both of them all the time on the court, no way. But, when they were on the court at the same time, offence must run through them. And that's all. No more highly-contested 3's, got to the hole with Pau and Drew, got faults, got dunks, high FG percentages...and not another 30-feet 3pt attempt with two guys over you. It's not a matter of highlights of the day...it's about being smarter on the court. And it's time to PJ to get angry with those 4th quarter choices. Of course, as i've said yesterday, Portland is a younger team, nearly as talented as us...and with nothing to lose. This is a really dangerous combo...but only if we don´t use our brain.

Kobe+talent=4morerings
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1704
Location: mesa AZ
votes: 10

flixos wrote:
SPQR wrote:
Quote:

And that was the problem yesterday; it looks like nobody in this team , apart from Walton, is ready to feed the big guys in a nice way. We have Pau, who can be shooting from FT-line range or so over 50% FG, while Drew is making dunks inside, feeded by Pau if he's not open. Both of them together must be unstoppable night by night if we take the ball out of 3pt-shooting-guys...we use to get around 30% from 3pt-line...and we could make all the nights a 60%+ from inside. So, which one is the smarter choice?.

Flixos,

Your right on the money. The fact is, the advent of Drew and Pau are going to necessitate a big change on how Fish, Sasha and Kobe need to play. It aint what they will want to hear or want to do-but if they want to be smart players, help this team be efficient, and not egoists, they will have to adjust to the new reality. This is not the Laker team of three years ago.

It's clear for us, my friend. Maybe the bigger problem were the changes. We started the year with Pau and Drew, we needed some work with both, and when everything was fixed, Drew got injured. We started to play with last year's unit, an smaller and faster lineup...and when the season is nearly over...bum...again Drew is in the middle. I think PJ has to make a fast work in our backcourt guys, in order to maximize those two big guys when we need them. I'm not talking about having both of them all the time on the court, no way. But, when they were on the court at the same time, offence must run through them. And that's all. No more highly-contested 3's, got to the hole with Pau and Drew, got faults, got dunks, high FG percentages...and not another 30-feet 3pt attempt with two guys over you. It's not a matter of highlights of the day...it's about being smarter on the court. And it's time to PJ to get angry with those 4th quarter choices. Of course, as i've said yesterday, Portland is a younger team, nearly as talented as us...and with nothing to lose. This is a really dangerous combo...but only if we don´t use our brain.

i agree but to a lesser degree,bynum was 6-13 he got his shot, we needed to get pau the ball.....also fish is really starting to stink it up if he hit just a few of his shots we win that game....but i know fish will turn it around also if that were not a back to back i think kobe would have made some of those shots he looked tired

maraud
LTB HOF Bronze
Posts: 5827
votes: 28

I feel that Portland is a team with a good future but not now. I feel that this is a Laker year. Props to Portland for the win but we beat ourselves. The jacked up dumb shot by Lamar, sealed our fate. Kurt did a bad coaching job and should have made sure that Drew would come in sooner than he did. Pau was having an off night and they were all noticably tired because of the back to back. If we were to play Portland in a 7 game series we would win in 5 games. Portland next year will be ready and we better get a quality PG to be able to challange them.

SPQR
LTB HOF Bronze
Posts: 8485
Location: Pennsylvania
votes: 265

Maraud,

The loss is no big thing in the scheme of things. They will have to hold serve up there AND beat us down here to take the playoff series. I don't really see that happening. The loss can be used as a lesson though. It can teach them to profit from their mistakes and play smarter in the future. Thats all one can ask of them.

ksoebaenla
Posts: 1392
votes: 7

cuckooroller wrote:
ksoebaenla wrote:
I am just as scared as everyone about portlands team...but i am glad we lost that game in portland...because 1 we probably werent going to get HCA anyways....and two it keeps the numbers in our favor....now when we meet portland they are going to have to win two games in staples to move on because i dont see us losing three more straight in portland...we have already lost like 7-8 in a row, so by sheer luck we are bound to win up there.....its like if the roulette ball keeps rolling red, your chances for black get higher and higher.

Your post is entirely illogical.

(1) We should not be glad to have lost this game considering that we desired to contest Cleveland for the HCA throughout the playoffs.

(2) The numbers are in our favor in any case. You make it seem like the numbers are now in our favor because we lost. Not true, and totally illogical. The numbers are in our favor with Portland as far as the HCA REGARDLESS of the outcome of this game!

(3) If we want to try and find any type of silver lining in this lousy loss, we can only find it if Portland uses the win to grab off Seed #3 from Houston. This would put them on the other side of the slate, and they would have to get through two other teams before they would have to meet us in the WCF, if we ourselves get there!

Ummm....no....and for you to say the post is entirley illogical is ridiculous...you obviously didnt understand the analogy.....if you flip a coin and it lands heads up over and over...then your odds increase in the coin flipping tails....thats all i was saying...we were not going to catch clevland anyways....sure there was a chance but still....and i would rather have portland earlier rather then later in the WCF when this young team gains experience and even more confidence...oh..and i already know we have home court agianst portland...but with all these consecutive losses in portland i believe the odds are in our favor to win up there even if portland was a far superior team..which i dont believe to be the case.....anyways if you still dont understand let me know and i can try and think up another analogy that you can understand.......and thanks so much for the reply to my post.....very nice...

maraud
LTB HOF Bronze
Posts: 5827
votes: 28

I seem to not follow you relative to what I think I said. Would you please reread what I said and tell me if I just misread what you said. Thanks.

SPQR
LTB HOF Bronze
Posts: 8485
Location: Pennsylvania
votes: 265

Maraud,

Perhaps I just did not express myself well. I agree Portland is a team of the future...though their future actually may be starting now. They may already be the second best team in the west. You said that we beat ourselves for various reasons. I responded by saying in the scheme of things the loss is no big deal but could (and I hope should) serve as a lesson. By that I meant both players and coaches can learn from the mistakes made so that hopefully in similar situation things have a chance to turn out differently.

babyhook
Topbuzz Newbie
Posts: 1
votes: 0

The funniest thing about your analogy is that it is incorrect. A coin flip is an entirely random event everytime you flip it. Just like getting red or black on a roulette roll.. the odds are the same every time.. 50-50..

Sure it is true that there are not 50-50 odds for getting 0 heads in 100 flips... but I can get 10000 tails and the chance of getting heads the next time is... 50-50..

Additionally.. there is a lot less randomness involved here. But the logic is the same.. if the Blazers and Lakers have played each other in portland 15 times between 2005-2010 (including playoffs) then it would seem highly unlikely that the lakers would be 0-15 when all was said and done. However, losing games doesn't increase the Lakers chance of doing anything..

So I can see why your post was called illogical. it was also wrong. Maybe instead of thinking up another analogy that cuckoo can understand you should work on understanding the analogy you are tmaking.

timbo
Topbuzz Newbie
Posts: 22
votes: 1

It's looking like Lakers get the slumping Utah Jazz first, followed by the Blazers or Spurs in the second round, so maybe it would be for the best to concentrate on that reality rather than probability theory.

(The Lakers losing in Portland's building isn't a random event in any case, ha ha!)

t

maraud
LTB HOF Bronze
Posts: 5827
votes: 28

Ok, I see what you are saying. I still think that the game was ours to lose and we did, I think that we are a lot better than we showed and that in a 7 game series that we will easily handle Portland this year. Now I am hoping that they destroy Portland after reading about the replaying of the Ariza foul on Fernandez over and over prior to the game. That is typical tacky Oregon for you. They are classless.

ksoebaenla
Posts: 1392
votes: 7

babyhook wrote:
ksoebaenla wrote:

Ummm....no....and for you to say the post is entirley illogical is ridiculous...you obviously didnt understand the analogy.....if you flip a coin and it lands heads up over and over...then your odds increase in the coin flipping tails....thats all i was saying... .....anyways if you still dont understand let me know and i can try and think up another analogy that you can understand.......and thanks so much for the reply to my post.....very nice...

The funniest thing about your analogy is that it is incorrect. A coin flip is an entirely random event everytime you flip it. Just like getting red or black on a roulette roll.. the odds are the same every time.. 50-50..

Sure it is true that there are not 50-50 odds for getting 0 heads in 100 flips... but I can get 10000 tails and the chance of getting heads the next time is... 50-50..

Additionally.. there is a lot less randomness involved here. But the logic is the same.. if the Blazers and Lakers have played each other in portland 15 times between 2005-2010 (including playoffs) then it would seem highly unlikely that the lakers would be 0-15 when all was said and done. However, losing games doesn't increase the Lakers chance of doing anything..

So I can see why your post was called illogical. it was also wrong. Maybe instead of thinking up another analogy that cuckoo can understand you should work on understanding the analogy you are tmaking.

Great now i got bayhook in here complaining....ok actually if you really want to get technical....your odds vary slightly when fliping a coin because for example...fliping a quarter you actually have a little better chance of fliping tails, because heads slightly heavey then the tails side....and as for the roulette table there is also 0 and in some cases 00 which are both green numbers...so your odds are still a little less then 50 percent....now.. (and i really have no clue why we are even arguing about this since i have no clue why anyone had to attack my original post in the first place...because i dont believe it was really that far fetched)...anyways now....yes your odd are always the same when you roll a roulette wheel to roll any given number....but for example...to roll lets say 10 blacks in a row...exponentialy your odds increase by 2 squared...since your odds are about 50% (1-2 actualy closer to 45-47%) so to roll 10 consecutive blacks would be about 1 in 2048...so if i was to bet in roullete and i came across 9 blacks in a row before i placed a bet...i would bet on red over black.....now i didnt say it was a guarentee...just i would believe red was bound to come up.....and with the lakers losing the last 8 in the rose garden, and three more coming if we meet in the playoffs...i like our odds of winning one up there better if we go in on a 8 game losing streak as opposed to a 1 game winning streak and 1-7 over the last 8....thats it...thats all...idk why i had to explain myself like this...as if it were that big of a deal......and for the record...what sense does it make for the silver lining in the loss to be portland will be pushed into a different bracket and we wont meet them till the WCF????...where they get more experience....get on a roll...gain confidence...and then play us....and if its just for the simple fact that we can get deeper in the playoffs...well thats stupid...because not winning a title is a failure period..whether we get knocked out in the first round, or the finals........

kb24_4life
LTB HOF Bronze
Posts: 6111

us.gif
votes: 46

I got something here about chances too.

Here it is............

Your chances of doing anything, regardless of what it is, are 50-50. The reason that is true is because you either are gonna do it or you aren't gonna do it.

People always say the chances of being in a car wreck are higher than the chances of being in a plane crash. But the way I look at it is that they are even. You are either going to wreck/crash or you're not going to.

The Lakers' chances of finishing with the best record are 50% too. They're either gonna have it or they're not. There's no they might not have it, no. They're either gonna finish with the best record, or they're not. 50%........................

Case Solved

Sincerely,

------------------John Hollinger---------------------

ksoebaenla
Posts: 1392
votes: 7

haha...lol...well i really hope that the lakers chances are better then 50%...but just because your going to do something or not, dose not make your odds 50% either way....your either gonna win the lotto or you are gonna lose...but im pretty sure its not 50%...lol....and ill tell you 100% that they are either going to win it all or not...and thats a gaurentee right now!!!...lol

SPQR
LTB HOF Bronze
Posts: 8485
Location: Pennsylvania
votes: 265

Maraud,

I look forward to the Portland series too. If I didn't think we would beat them I wouldn't. I hope it is them and us in the second round. I wouldn't want it any other way.

kb24_4life
LTB HOF Bronze
 Avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 6111

us.gif
votes: 46
I got something here about chances too. Here it is............ Your chances of doing anything, regardless of what it is, are 50-50. The reason that is true is because you either are gonna do it or you aren't gonna do it. People always say the chances of being in a car wreck are higher than the chances of being in a plane crash. But the way I look at it is that they are even. You are either going to wreck/crash or you're not going to. The Lakers' chances of finishing with the best record are 50% too. They're either gonna have it or....

Please log in to view the entire post.

ksoebaenla
Posts: 1392
votes: 7

haha...yeah..lol....espn does love to do that...lol..

cuckooroller
LTB HOF Silver
Posts: 12411
Location: Italy
votes: 114

Well, I guess I should not comment from the depths of my stupidness. However, I will meekly venture to raise my chastened brow from the depths of my obvious illogicity, and attempt to dialectically duel with my blunted pen knife, against this imperious rapier.

There are two reasons that I would rather that Portland gain the 3° seed. The first is of minor importance, and it is that Portland would have to go through two opponents before they get to us, and anything can happen in those series, including Portland being eliminated.

The second reason, barely surfacing through the total mental haze that has always dogged my thought processes, is Andrew Bynum.

I view the Lakers as becoming progressively stronger as the playoffs are extended. Even though some people believe that Bynum is some sort of magic pill to some of our past problems, the fact remains that we are only now reinserting him into the line-up. I would rather Bynum have as many games possible under his belt when and if we face Portland.

urkle9
Laker GM
Posts: 3651

us.gif
votes: 13

I love the bad blood between portland and LA. I hope and pray we play them in the second round. Kobe has came through enough times for us. I am not gonna harp on one regular season game in portland. Reason being, Cleveland is gonna win out and we wouldnt have caught them either way.

SPQR
LTB HOF Bronze
Posts: 8485
Location: Pennsylvania
votes: 265

Urkle,

I agree. There is nothing sweeter in sports than when two teams hate each other and meet in the playoffs. Of course their history against us leads them to have plenty more hate for us than we have for them, lol. I am looking forward to adding some more hate to their psyche after our series is over.

JonathanDavid_24
LTB HOF Bronze
Age: 25
Posts: 5144
Location: Texas
us.gif
votes: 44

Gem post Randy, REPPED ++

ksoebaenla
Posts: 1392
votes: 7

cuckooroller wrote:
ksoebaenla wrote:
......and for the record...what sense does it make for the silver lining in the loss to be portland will be pushed into a different bracket and we wont meet them till the WCF????...where they get more experience....get on a roll...gain confidence...and then play us....and if its just for the simple fact that we can get deeper in the playoffs...well thats stupid...because not winning a title is a failure period..whether we get knocked out in the first round, or the finals........

Well, I guess I should not comment from the depths of my stupidness. However, I will meekly venture to raise my chastened brow from the depths of my obvious illogicity, and attempt to dialectically duel with my blunted pen knife, against this imperious rapier.

There are two reasons that I would rather that Portland gain the 3° seed. The first is of minor importance, and it is that Portland would have to go through two opponents before they get to us, and anything can happen in those series, including Portland being eliminated.

The second reason, barely surfacing through the total mental haze that has always dogged my thought processes, is Andrew Bynum.

I view the Lakers as becoming progressively stronger as the playoffs are extended. Even though some people believe that Bynum is some sort of magic pill to some of our past problems, the fact remains that we are only now reinserting him into the line-up. I would rather Bynum have as many games possible under his belt when and if we face Portland.

ok ok...that makes sense....if you were thinking that portland could be eliminated by the time we get to the WCF....and bynum getting back stronger...that all makes sense....i thought you wanted portland in the playoffs...and wanted it to be it the WCF....but if we were to meet in the WCF then all the things you say about the lakers getting stronger, would also be true to portland tho as well......but your theroy ethier way does in fact make sense........

as far as everything else....after a lakers loss no matter who the opponent or when...i am very pissed...and i never look for silver linings...i just get pissed and say they suck...lol...especially with the defense in some of there in exusable recent losses......after the portland game i tried something different in looking for the silver lining...but after the last few very long posts of trying to explain myself....i will deffinetly not take that approch agian after a lakers loss....lol

Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home

or Comment Using FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic


← Grizzlies @ Lakers | April 12th, 2009 Game Thread

→ Jazz- Lakers Game blog 14-04-09

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

register
You are an anonymous user- Register now!


Add our Los Angeles Lakers Blog RSS Feed, the Lakers Rumors RSS Feed, the Lakers News RSS feed, and the Lakers Forum RSS feed to get the latest Laker News and Rumors and Lakers Game info in your RSS/XML reader!